Learners Teaching Learners: Derek Oldfield

Social Media Guidelines for Parents

Recent research suggests that students interest in social media has shifted from Facebook to Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat.  Once parents started joining Facebook, children started hating it.  Most parents aren’t active on Twitter.  Most teachers aren’t active on Twitter yet either, however, I am.  I do have a Facebook account I use mostly for personal use.  My Facebook probably looks a lot like yours.  I use it to share pictures of my family.  Facebook has definitely made the world smaller.  No doubt, social media has it’s benefits.  As a teacher, we see many of the risks of students using social media.  Yes, cyberbullying does happen.  Almost every issue among students in school originated somewhere online.

I have a Twitter account that I use mostly for professional purposes.  Mr_Oldfield is my twitter name.  I started Twitter to connect to thousands of other teachers and it has allowed me to develop a powerful personal learning network.  I have learned a lot by following other educators with like interests.  I also put my Twitter name out there for my students to use if necessary.  It’s just another opportunity they have to connect with me outside the walls of BMS.  This blog is an opportunity for me to connect with parents and students.  I plan to begin posting pictures and guest posts from students about what’s happening in my classes.  You’ll be receiving a parental release form early in the year that will provide me permission to post pictures of your children on educational sites attached to my class.  At most, those pictures could be posted on Edmodo, this Edublog, or Twitter.  I’d like to create a class Facebook page, but Facebook is still blocked at the school, so I’d prefer to avoid that if necessary.  I hope to connect with more parents in whatever arena is most available.  If you have any questions about my plans for social media use or questions about social media use by your child, don’t hesitate to ask me.  Below you’ll see some helpful graphics about social media guidelines. Please click the first link as it is by far the most helpful social media guide I’ve come across.

http://theinnovativeeducator.blogspot.com/2013/07/cyberbullying-infographic.html

students-like-social-media-infographic

socialnetwork-posting

I want to share some infographics with you to provide some positive social media guidelines to help you and I educate students on proper social media use.  Students today have a tremendous desire to be connected at all times.  With proper social media use, our children can enjoy a positive experience and learn some important 21st century skills that will no doubt benefit them in the future.

Socialmedia1

Cyberbullying-Infographic-infographicsmania

Finally, I want to share this article with you.  The title is Creating a Family Media Agreement: How to have the conversation. http://www.edutopia.org/blog/creating-a-family-media-agreement-matt-levinson

levinson-tech-agreement