Learners Teaching Learners: Derek Oldfield

First day in the lab

by on Aug.27, 2013, under Uncategorized

These pictures are from one of our computer labs in the school.  My students typically spend 2 days a week in a computer lab as part of a blended learning strategy.  In addition to face to face time in my classroom, I have really enjoyed the time my students get to spend at a computer.  There are some things a computer does really efficiently and Khan Academy provides me with a tremendous amount of data that I can’t imagine teaching without.  Just from today, I can tell which students need extra time converting 1-digit repeating decimals to fractions and vice-versa.  By tomorrow, 90% of my students will have demonstrated they are ready to move on to the next skill.  Back in the classroom I will try to incorporate engaging activities that reinforce what we’ve learned, while building on the next skill or topic.  It’s difficult to share in pictures or words, but already today I saw students helping other students.  This isn’t something I ask them to do, they just do it.  The atmosphere we create inside the computer lab is unmatched.  I’ll try to share more about my students’ experience in math class.  Ask your students about their experience thus far and feel free to contact me with questions or feedback.

Derek Oldfield

First Day in the Lab

Leave a Comment more...